Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Extra Credit Opportunity- "The Class"(aka "Entre les Murs")

3. Compare and contrast the school in the film with your experience of SOF. What are crucial similarities and differences? What should SOF change in light of the insights you've gained from this movie?

The movie "The Class" a.k.a 'Entre Les Murs" was not what I visualize on my mind. I thought the movie was more like students being sent to a specific class for serious help. Like every title has a meaning to it. "The Class" makes me visualize former gang, drop outs, prisoner sent to a "specific" class to study. But it turn out to be like a normal class. A class that is not full of trash but need serious help on their education.

After watching the film I was upset of how this movie had turn out. You know every movie that start out unpleasant always have an happy ending. In occasion this movie doesn't; which sucks. Started out with a French Teacher teaching his class on grammar and vocabulary. The ways the class act wasn't as horrible as the kids in "Freedom Writer." Well supposing the movie "The Class" was taken in France, so I am guessing New York City teenagers are more aggressive/violence in teenage lives. A brief example that can be shown, comparing and contrasting New York City school to the movie, "The Class" at France. One New York school can be "School of the Future," that can be somehow relates to those kids in France.

So most likely you know how a class is form. There're many different races from different culture. There's smart and dumb teenage kids. There's badass, jerks, bitches, assholes in one certain class. It was the beginning of the year, old kids that been to the school before wants to be wise guy. They want to let the teacher and fellow classmates to let them know that they're smart. That they don't need help; "I've this under control" But of course, the teacher will call on them, they struggle to find the right answer. At School of the Future, many kids are like that. The pretender assume they know all the answers by either raising their hand to make them look smart, but when they answer the question wrong; they look like a fool. Some of us pretends, that they understand what they are learning, so they either act cool or fool around. They try to make a statement, showing their fellow classmates that they are in top of them.

There are immigrants from other culture traveling to places to learn new language. The immigrants would have trouble understanding and learning the language. They would also struggle speaking the language, so they will have an accents. People will start laughing and picking on them. In the movie, "The Class" there were 2 chinese immigrants, they're intelligent but "Wei gets influence too easily, by the others; which makes him a badass. For example when there was a fight between Souleymane and the new kid, Wei didn't run away, he stood there and watch. In School of the Future, there are many immigrants, so they would have trouble speaking proper english, african american would mostly laugh and make a joke. I am Chinese and I've to admit, I've trouble speaking english, but I won't let my fellow classmates put me down. As the year, pass by, I don't get make fun off because I am a part of them. I am part of their families member because I am cool. But still there are still people that get tease because they can't speak proper english or they ain't cool. I will like to know what if they learn to speak a new language, would they master it? I don't think so.

There's many smiliarities between the movie and School of the Future. But there are 2 major differences between these two schools. The movie ending was bullshit. It was like nothing happen to the class. Souleymane got expelled from class. "Oh well, he's gotta be alright. Stupid," It is like the whole movie was a step-up to get Souleymane in trouble. And I have to blame him too for being a dumbass. The teacher were in his side helping him out but I am guessing he doesn't deserve this opporunity to go to college. For those two bitches... I just hate them. Why would you even exposed the teacher meeting. And first of all, it was stupid having a meeting with two students. And it wasn't right for the teacher to called those two girls, a "slut" In School of the Future, we are so much better than them. We are all heading to college and we have a future; that's why we're in School of the Future. In SOF, we don't have kids in the conference meeting because it is not allow. Being in SOF for four years I don't have teachers calling student names. Some teacher curse but we're teenage kids. This time of being, we've to be in shape. Not like those kids in the movie. I have never seen a teacher calling their kids name. It is a total blow out. I don't even no what to say. All I know is that in order to get respect from teachers, you must respect them first.

The movie, "The Class" has no match against School of the Future. I don't see any changes in School of the Future from the movie. We ain't a smart schol but we are also not the worst school. I don't want School of the Future to turn out to be like the movie because I know I will drop out of high school. But I have to give this movie credits because they've their own ways of interpreting the lifestyle of 13- 14 years old kids in France.

No comments:

Post a Comment