Thursday, September 24, 2009

HW # 7 Interview and Surveys Part 2

At class we were told to walk around the block and try to find someone to interview about their opinion on technologies. As I was walking on East 23st/Lexington Ave with John L. and Andy L, i saw this young lady on her phone. As John and Andy walk furthur away from me, i slowly walk toward to the lady and ask her some questions about her own personal opinion on technologies. As i was interviewing her, most of the time she was checking on her phone, so therefore her blackberry is important to her and she probably spends a lot of time on it. The first question i ask her was:

"What do you think about technologies such as computer, television, ipod and cellphone...etc?"

"I think technologies are quite addictive. It is like they poison your mind and you really cant let them go. These technologies helps us move around while meeting new faces at certain times." [looking on her phone once again.]

"I see that you have a blackberry and you kept on checking on it. So i am guessing you spend a lot of time on it. Right?"

I actually do... I love this phone. I've this phone since i started college and i spend most of the time texting my boyfriend, around 3 hours a day. Back then when i was little my parent think that cell phones are a waste of money, but right now i am everywhere. Thanks to this bad boy.

"Do you have a computer now?"

"Nah, I dont have enought time on the computer. My blackberry is my only technology. Sometimes i use my niece computer and i think it is ruining her mind. She spends a lot of time talking to her friends and not focusing on her school work.

Basically, this young lady only live with one technology and thats her "bad boy blackberry" Her blackberry is the only thing that keeps her in touch with the world. She doesnt have enought time to go on the computer or watch television, but that doesnt mean she is missing out the important shit that is happening around the world. Her bad boy is always there for her.

I aslo had an converstation with this old man and her grandaughter [i believe] While i was interviewing the old man i realize the grandaughter has two cell phones... a razor and a sidekick. She probably uses the sidekick to go online and text messages and her razor is use for calling people. I asked the old man ,

"How does technologies these days affect your life?"

"Back then when i was your age, we didnt have that many great technologies. We didnt have high speed internet or cd players, but right now the world has change to a better place. Great source of energy, high speed internet, enterinment. I still carried a cellphone just for contacting people or emergency call. My grandaughter loves her phones. But sometimes these internet makes kids lazier.

*Asking the grandaughter* " I see that you use two cellphones, why's that?"

"Oh, because my sidekick is use for AIM and my razar is for caliing my friends."

"How many hours hours do you spend on your phone?"

"I spend around 6-7 hours each day, talking to my boyfriend.

"So when you have kids how often will you let them use the internet?"

"Probably for homework only."

"But for yourself, you use it not to work on your homework but to talk to your friends."

"That's cos i am different and i am almost done with college."

Apparently the grandaughter knows how to take care of her kids but not herself. She spend most of her time using the interent and to me, she is probably a high schooler. The old man lives without no internet at first was terrible but right now the world is getting better for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment