Monday, October 26, 2009

HW #14- Second Text

At first I thought that reading those two short passages will be faster to write about and easy to understand. But when I took a quick glance at the long passage, it seem like there are more information given. And the author, Steven Johnson, makes me think deeper into technologies and should I agree with his definition of "good" technology. Something in his words makes me agree and disagree with him. In "Everything Bad is Good for you" it shows how technologies is actually helping us to interact with our education. The author, Steven Johnson, tries to get into our young mind and convince us that all these video games, t.v, and the internet are all good for us. The whole purpose of his reading is to argue why technologies have make young generation much more intelligence and being entertain.

I was surprised that Steven Johnson compare reading to video games. How did he ever come up with that idea? Video games force us to play the game until you beat the game. It makes the player to be much more active, taking risk, solving problem and just exercising our mind. But there are some bad aspects of video games such as downfalling your grades, create fights with your parent or sibling, prevent your from going outdoors and exercise. Steven Johnson mentioned that video game is just like reading a book. How you suppose to concentrate and get to the next level. Books are challenging so is video games. So reading and video games has same similarties.

Speaking of reading, watching television is also a way to learn. Johnson mention that reading takes time to understand and theres no picture to entertain us. Unlike, television, there's pictures,speaker, and entertainment. Sometimes kid dont really understand what they are reading, such as hard vocabulary and sentence structure, television has picture that makes you understand whats going on and where the story is heading. For example, I believe that everyone watches the news instead of reading the newspaper. Watching the news save you a lot of time and you get to know whats going on, with a quick snap.

Internet. DOnt forget about the internet. I have so much "shit" to talk about. Steven Johnson made a statement saying that interent is the best way to meet new friends. Online brings people together and make us smarter in a way. Even though we meet strangers that doesnt equal to a bad thing because you get to have fun and slowly become friends.

I think most of the stuff that Steven Johnson is saying are "Bullshit" I am not saying he is wrong about everything but I think he came up with some dumb reasons of how technologies help us. When he brought up the point of how reading is like a video game, got me thinking. He is right and wrong at the same time. Reading help us to learn and improve your writing skills. It really doesnt matter if the book is boring and shit, at college, we will be reading textbook that doesnt make sense. Playing games will lower our grades. Once you play, you cannot stop playing which makes you dont have time to study. I start playing video games when I was in freshman. My mind wasnt on school, it was finish playing my games. Which fuck my grade up. Right now I have to spend most of my day, fixing my grades. I hate reading but I still have to read no matter what.

Watching t.v I actually agree with Steven Johnson when he said we can learn so much stuff from watching t.v. T.V enterant us by having sound effect and we have pictures in front of us. So we can get the meaning real quick. But watching too much t.v can affect own learning. For exmaple, watching t.v makes you like nervous. You cant wait to see what will happen next. You kept on waiting and thinking about the next espoispe and not worry about your grades.

Internet. Thats when I totally disagree what Steven Johnson is saying. Internet is not a place to make friendship, such as in facebook, myspace, whatever. Talking to strangers? Why will you talk to people you hardly know. Their words can hit you but deep inside of that person, they can be really bad. When Andy told me to do some research about technology. I decided to reseach about facebooking. Theres a lot of shit happening on facebook. Young teenage girls getting stalk, people dying, full of shit like that. There's are many people that we cant trust and we definatly cannot learn through experience like that. I dont know what Steven Johnson is trying to say about internet, I totally disagree with him. Internet is not a bad place to talk to people you actually know, but talikng to random strangers is the worst part. Like seriously. I have a question for Steven. What happen if your girlfriend met this stranger and decided to meet up face to face. What wil happen to your girlfriend. I think she will end up getting rape. I dont even let my close friends talking to my girlfriend because I want her to be safe. Random people just IMED, just to become friends, but I am a guy, I know what guy are thinking.

Video games, tv, and internet brings tradegy. These technologies fuck up my grade. They make me lose love from my parent. They make me suffer. If you are having the same problem as me... I will just going to give you one advice. FIGHT.

No comments:

Post a Comment