Friday, January 8, 2010

HW # 32- Tattoos & The Presentation of the Self

[last year... during spring season]

"Yo, who are you representing?"

"Who, me?"

"Yeah, you! Who are you representing?"

"I dont know what you are talking about. Can you please be mroe specific?"

"I am asking you, what does your tattoo represent, fool?"

"Umm, nothing."

[chuckles] "So why the fuck you have a tattoo?"

"Cos I like it. Why.. is there a reason why I cant have it?"

"Yeah nigga, cos first you aint cool. Second, your tattoo dont mean shit. Third, having a tattoo representes something. Fourth, you are black, so barely anyone could see your 3 headed skull. Your tattoo blends in with your skin.

"Shut up white shit."

As I was waiting for the bus at Coney Island, I saw these 3 white ghetto teenagers walking toward my way. All of them were wearing Steep Tech Northface, fresh kicks, silver/gold, piecing/earrings. All of them has a tattoo on their hand and back of their neck. One of them said "yo" and I got really frighten. I though they are going to hurt me, but one of the white guy walk up to this black guy; who aslo has a tattoo on his arm. They were popping shit just 5 feet away from me. I could hear what they were talking about and I felt complete stunned. How can someone tell or ask someone what their tattoo represents or symbolize? The way those 3 white dudes just pouring shit on the black dude makes me boil. Seriously! Why are you going to judge someones tattoo and asking, " What does your tattoo represent?

All I know was that having tattoo equals cool. Plain and simple. But that was last year. This year at Andy Synders class, we dicuss about how tattoo relates on being cool. I did some researchs and had a interview. At first I didnt know anything about tattoo I thought people had them just to be popular. But as I grew older, my brain started to understand what was the reasoning for people to have tattoos. Tattoo makes the person seem like a badass or a tough competitor. They like to show off and that they run this area or they are much bigger and better than you. They take control of who you are, they reach into your system and just brain wash you. Take my words for an example: it is winter; this dude only wore a t shirt just to show off his valuable design and want you to know that he wants your attention. Even though it is cold, he will still flash his styles and make you notice he is that awesome.

I also did some research about tattoos. Is a tattoo right for you? Do you think having a tattoo makes you bad? In my opinion, I dont think having a tattoo could consider you as a horrible person. Having tattoos can mean anything, love, memories, friendship, fine art... etc. Tattoos are permanent and will amke a statenment about you for the rest of your life. People decide to get tattoos in remembrance of a lost loved one, or to commemorate an important event in their lives. The person you are today may not be the same person you will become. A tattoo is a statement about who you are and whats important to you. Making time to design your own tattoo will make your future bright because it makes you popular.

But theres a problem having tattoos. Tattoos leads to health risks. Embracing a tattoo onto your flesh of skin will damage your health because of the toxic and forming diseases. The bigger your tattoo is, it will cause disease such as HIV/AIDS and Hepatitis. This can really damage your health because it can make your body stop growing and become smaller and gain more pain. There are over 14000 people who has tattoos, and having to deal with a disease; hepatitis and heart problem.

So what can you conclude... tattoos can be goood and bad at the same time. But as yourself will you want a tattoo that will harm your life or having a tattoo that holds a memory of your love one? I will suggest health comes before anything else, because among the 14000 people who has tattoo, has a disease. At class we also interview Mr. Fannning, he loves tattoos, but I dont really wanna go on debt about his reasoning about having so much tattoos. He is a really intelligent man but I just have one more question. Have you ever wonder what it is going to be like when you turn older and wont your tattoo affect you in such a old age?

1 comment: